At the Beginning of the Semester

At the initial stages of your studies you might be overwhelmed by the huge amount of information you receive. In this guide you will find answers to many of the questions you might have. It is also important to remember that you do not have to try and solve all the difficulties alone. So, turn to your student tutors and International Services with your questions without hesitation.

Information Folder

Your information folder contains lots of handy information to help you including:

  • A study certificate (proves you’re a student)
  • Lunch card (allows you to get lunch and dinner at student prices)
  • Your Student number and Internet logins (Don’t share these!)
  • Map of Jyväskylä
  • Jyväskylä city guide
  • Campus maps
  • Keys to your KOAS apartment (if you got housing from KOAS)

Orientation week

The orientation for exchange students takes place at the beginning of each semester. You can find the schedule and topics at The orientation sessions are meant for all new exchange students and they cover a lot of useful information on general study-related matters as well as on other practicalities.

School Specific Orientations

At the school specific orientation, you will meet your Academic Coordinator and perhaps other staff of your school. You will get acquainted with the contents of your studies and get to discuss your study plan. You will receive instructions on enrolling for courses in the ASIO system (see instruction booklet in your info folder). The times and locations for the school specific orientations are in your info folder. You can check the contact details of both the Academic Coordinators and the staff of the International Services in the Elmo student intra:

Social security number

According to the instructions of the Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture, having a Finnish Personal Identity Code is obligatory for all foreign students staying in Finland for longer than three months. Students from outside of the EU/EEA usually apply for the Finnish personal identity code when applying for the residence permit before arriving to Finland.

The Finnish ID-number is comprised of your birthday followed by a dash and a combination of 4 digits or letters. Once you have it, it is valid for the rest of your life and can be used if you, for instance, return to Finland to work or study, etc. It’s simply an identifier and a way to prove your identity here in Finland.


The personal identity codes will be collected by the International Services (B106.1) for the Finnish national higher education register called VIRTA.

The Local Register Office ( will visit JAMK during the orientation week, where you will have a chance to apply for your Finnish personal identity code, if needed. If you miss the opportunity to apply for your personal identity code while they are at JAMK, you can make an appointment online at:

Once you have your personal identity code, please come to the International Services office at the beginning of the semester to show your Finnish personal identity code with an official certificate.

EU / EEA Passport holders, Registering Right of Residence

EU passport holders need to register their right of residence at Migri offices ( in either the city of Tampere or Kuopio after their arrival, if their stay in Finland lasts longer than 3 months consecutively.

NOTE: If you travel outside of Finland and return (Example: Estonia, Sweden, Russia, etc.) the counter will reset.