TARGETED CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR
PREPARATORY VISIT TO ERITREA
The MFA and CIMO are organizing a joint networking and project planning trip to Asmara in Eritrea. If you
are interested in Eritrean higher education collaboration and have a project idea, you can apply to
participate in the Preparatory Visit through following the instructions below.
CIMO and the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland (MFA) are seeking to foster higher education collaboration between Finland and Eritrea. The MFA aims at funding targeted Eritrea specific capacity building projects between higher education institutions in Eritrea and Finland within the framework of the existing Finnish funding instruments North‐South‐South and HEI ICI. To further this collaborative aim, CIMO is opening a Call for applications to participate in a networking and fact finding visit to Eritrea on the first week of November 2014.
The selection of participants to the preparatory visit is not linked to any future decisions on project funding.
A separate call for funding for the actual projects with Eritrea will be organized in 2015.
To be able to participate in the Preparatory Visit to Eritrea, please submit your full application by October 1, 2014, through following the steps below:
- Fill in the Preliminary Project Proposal form (Word document, available online)
- Fill in the online application form, attach the project proposal and submit
- deadline for applications October 1, 2014
- application to be submitted online
- application consists of basic online form and preliminary project proposal
- preliminary proposal should be no longer than 3 pages and formulated on given form
- 1‐2 participants per project proposal
- funding covers travel and visa expenses and per diems
- a report on the findings from the trip will be required from each participant
- preference will be given to projects that seek to fill current needs in Eritrea as described below
The applicants must fulfil the following requirements to apply for the networking and fact finding visit to
- The Finnish HEI operates under the Universities Act (558/2009) or Polytechnics Act (351/2003);
- The Finnish HEI has the right to provide a public civilising service in the field of higher education and has the right to grant higher education degree.
PRELIMINARY PROJECT PROPOSAL
The preliminary project proposals are meant to provide details on the interest towards the Preparatory Visit to Eritrea. The proposal should thus contain at least the following elements:
- initial project concept for collaboration with Eritrean partners
- assessment of the relevance and possible impact of the planned project
- motivational statement and institutional commitment for collaborating with Eritrea
- short resume and motivation of those participating in the visit
- previous similar collaboration of merit
- prospective benefits of participating in the preparatory visit
CURRENT DEVELOPMENT NEEDS FOR HIGHER EDUCATION IN ERITREA
- There is a vast lack of qualified teachers, and as such the exchange of staff and students is a priority
- Provision of teaching materials (lab. & workshop equipment, ICT facilities, Books, journals, etc.)
- Support for the establishment of local Post Graduate programs
- Promoting collaborative research with partner institutions
- Promote Distance Education and e‐learning programs
ERITREAN HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS
- Eritrea Institute of Technology (Mai Nefhi)
- College of Health Sciences (Asmara)
- Orota School of Medicine (Asmara)
- College of Business & Economics (Halhale)
- College of Marine Sciences and Technology (Massawa)
- Hamelmalo Agric. College (Hamelmalo)
- College of Arts & Social Sciences (Adi Keih)
Currently Eritrea has 53 Degree and 43 Diploma offering Departments, with a total of 9 Masters Programs. The total Student population is around 14, 000. Out of the 621 teaching staff only 60% are Eritrean nationals, and close to 60% are junior and cannot fully handle teaching responsibilities.
Please do not hesitate in contacting us if you have any questions regarding collaborating with and traveling to Eritrea.
CIMO: Annica Moore, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: +358 295 338574
MFA: Sanna Takala, email@example.com, tel. +358 295 350540