Universities around the world welcome students from abroad and at the same time send their students for study abroad programmes to partner universities. How can we deal with academic cultural differences in the inclusive classroom? How can we bridge the gap between academic cultures and with prior learning? And on the other hand: How can we prepare our students for academic cultural differences and manage expectations when they plan a study abroad semester?
Learn from experts and share your academic culture during our International Week: a four day long experience for teachers, staff members and students with teaching opportunities, workshops, job shadowing sessions and exciting social events.
Together with our neighbouring university NHL, we will host the International Week from 8 – 11 May 2017. The International week will be held at the main locations of Stenden & NHL in Leeuwarden.
Monday 8 May
- 09.30 – 10.00 Registration at Central Hall Stenden
- 10.00 – 12.15 Auditorium Stenden 10.00 – 10.15:
- 10.00 – 10.15 Welcome by Board of Directors Stenden and NHL 10.15 – 10.30 Get to know Stenden and NHL, by Dymphi van der Hoeven, Department for International Affairs, Stenden
- 10.30 – 11.15 Keynote Speech ‘Understanding and Integrating an Intercultural and Inclusive Dimension in Teaching and Learning’ by dr Kenneth Cushner, Emeritus Professor of International Education, Kent State University
- 11.15 – 12.00 Keynote 12.00 – 12.15 Wrapping up and instructions for networking lunch
- 12.30 – 14.00 Networking Lunch at Stenden Restaurant ‘Wannee’
- 14.15 – 15.45 Workshop Long ‘Intercultural Training Strategies of use in Inclusive Education’
- 14.15 – 15.00 Workshop Short Round 1
- 15.00 – 15.45 Workshop Short Round 2
- 15.45 – 16.30 Guided Tour Campus Buildings
- 16.30 – 18.00 Canal Tour Leeuwarden City Centre
Tuesday 9 May
- 09.00 – 16:00 Teaching possibilities / jobshadowing at Stenden Emmen, Meppel & Leeuwarden 18.00 – 18.30 Drinks at Grand Café Restaurant ‘De Koperen Tuin’, Leeuwarden
- 18.30 – 22.00 Dinner at Grand Café Restaurant ‘De Koperen Tuin’, Leeuwarden
Wednesday 10 May
Excursion to Terschelling (one of the Dutch Wadden Islands)
- 07.30 Departure by bus to boat terminal Harlingen
- 08.30 Boat to Terschelling
- 09.30 – 13.00 Programme and Lunch at the NHL Maritime Institute
- 13.00 – 15.45 Social Programme Track 1
- 13.00 – 15.45 Social Programme Track 2
- 16.15 Return by boat to Harlingen
- 17.00 Bus back to Leeuwarden
Thursday 11 May:
- 09.00 – 12.00 Teaching possibilities / jobshadowing Leeuwarden
- 12.15 – 13.30 Lunch
- 13.30 – 15.00 Workshops
- 15.00 – 16.00 Farewell Tea
We would like to invite you to give a lecture or workshop about your academic culture and/or in e.g. Marketing, Business, Economics, Languages, Logistics, Media & Entertainment Management, Tourism Management, Leisure Management, Retail Management, Hospitality Management, Social Work, Creative Therapy and Teacher Training. For registration and more information please go to www.stenden.com/internationalweek
Registration is open from November 15th till February 24th 2017.
We are looking forward to welcoming you at our International Week in the north of the Netherlands!
Warm regards, Team Student Mobility Centre
Stenden University of Applied Sciences www.stenden.com/internatioalweek